Sunday, April 8, 2007

Finding healthy, easy-to-transport lunches

One of the keys to weight loss is avoiding unplanned meals, especially those in restaurants. Being a student living on loans, it's especially important to me to avoid spending money. I almost always bring my lunch to school.

My favorite lunch foods:

1. Any cold pasta or grain salad (i.e. Quinoa Caprese)
2. Sandwich fillings plus a pita half--I tried Curry Chicken Pitas recently and really liked them.
3. Apples, oranges, pears: I usually slice or peel these and put them in a plastic bag for easy snacking. You can avoid brown apples by putting some lemon juice on the apple slices.
4. Soup-at-hand: if they're on sale, they're only about a dollar--and very convenient. Just watch your sodium intake the rest of the day.
5. Leftovers from a healthy meal the night before.
6. Hummus and carrot sticks (or green pepper slices)

I'm always looking for new ideas. If you have any, be sure to comment!

No comments: